Sarah's Reviews > The Secret Cardinal

The Secret Cardinal by Tom Grace

Feb 28, 13

bookshelves: 2012-list
Read from July 16 to 22, 2012

This is like Tom Clancy meets Catholic...how have I never read Tom Grace before? The pope dies and the conclave is just kicking off. In the midst of that, the Vatican has a secret rescue underway for an imprisoned cardinal (who no one else knows is a cardinal) in China.

It has suspense and catechesis, good dialogue and nice humor, page-turning plot and tear-jerking reality. I think this was written at about the time John Paul II died, so it was timely...and as we hover on the brink of a new papacy right now, it's also timely.

As I read it, I couldn't help but smile a bit at how much technology has changed in under a decade. There was email, but there was not texting or instant anything. The internet was dial-up based (unless you were CIA or something) and not anything like it is now. When they talk of sniffing out the cardinals' rooms, I had to laugh.

I really enjoyed this book and was glad it was a pick for our group. I'd highly recommend it as both an applicable read as we prepare for another conclave and a good book for the "fun reading" quotient.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Cardinal.