Maria Elmvang's Reviews > Frit fald over Amazonas

Frit fald over Amazonas by Ulla Lund

Oct 19, 2008

bookshelves: 2002-and-before, 4-stars, 2008, cultural, not-owned, ya
Read in October, 2008 , read count: 7

16-year old Lone is on her way to Rio de Janeiro to visit a friend when the plane she's on is hijacked and crashes over the Amazons. She's saved from the wreck by a group of Yanomami indians - the last natur-people in the Amazons - and has to learn to live by their rules until she once again can return to Denmark and so-called "civilisation".

I first read this book in 1992 - it's one of the few books I remember exactly where and when I read for the first time, because it affected me very strongly. I loved reading about how Lone was introduced to the Yanomami culture and came to love the people. And I was completely appalled at how they were treated as nothing more than animals by the 'white people' who wanted to mine the uranium discovered in their area. Such treatment always makes my blood boil.

Fortunately Free Fall Over the Amazons passes the test of time, and I enjoyed it just as much on this read-through as when I first discovered it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frit fald over Amazonas.