Tabitha's Reviews > For Darkness Shows the Stars

For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund

Jun 28, 12

Read on June 27, 2012

DYSTOPIAN RETELLING OF PERSUASION! So amazing.

I wish that I could say that I'm a fan of Jane Austen's books, but I can't. It's not that I don't like her work it's just I've never taken it upon myself to read any of her books. That's not to say I'm not familiar with her stories because let's face it.... almost everyone is familiar with at least one of her famous love stories. I guess what I’m saying is read Persuasion, don’t read Persuasion either way For Darkness Shows the Stars is a great book!

I’ll be the first to admit that I wasn’t too keen on the modernization of Persuasion because it’s just one of those stories where it doesn’t seem like it would work in a modern setting, and it doesn’t. I think the author did something really unique with this retelling because instead of setting it in the society we live in now, she put it into this dystopian-sci fi-futuristic world. And while the stories set in this futuristic world it has this very historical feeling to it. There’s a lack of technology, very simple things are thought of us extravagant, and the way they live is just very... old fashioned. It’s almost as if after a certain point of progressiveness society just stopped caring and went back to a simpler time. It’s hard to explain what’s going on without spoiling the story, so I’ll finish this with that last bit I said.

The main character, Elliot North, was amazing. I know I say that a lot, but it’s COMPLETELY true when I say it about her. She’s loyal, honest, compassionate everything you could ever want in a friend. She gave up the person thing that made her happiest because she knew she needed to stay and take care of things at her estate. Elliott is also one of the most generous characters I’ve ever read about, and always managed to surprise me. Then there was Kai. He’s a jerk for most of the book, but I couldn’t help but love him. The relationship between Kai and Elliot isn’t one you get to see in action very often, but we do get to see how they became friends through letters they shared when they were younger. It was great being able to see how the two of them became such great friends, and how they were always there for eachother.

The only thing I didn’t like about this book was the slow beginning. There were times during the first few chapters where I wanted to set this book down, and not continue reading because it wasn’t holding my attention. But after those initial few chapters I was completely sucked into the world of For Darkness Show the Stars. So if you’ve started this book and aren’t liking it... Stick with it. I can guarantee the book gets better as the story progresses.

So yeah. Get this book, read it, love it. You know whatever floats your boat. If you’re in the mood for a bit of sci-fi, dystopian, and romance this is the book for you. And if you haven’t read Persuasion don’t worry, it won’t take from your reading experience but it couldn’t hurt to be familiar with the story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read For Darkness Shows the Stars.