Tyler's Reviews > We Are Anonymous: Inside the Hacker World of LulzSec, Anonymous, and the Global Cyber Insurgency

We Are Anonymous by Parmy Olson

M 50x66
Jun 27, 12

This book reads essentially like a computer thriller. It's a mixture of the real life stories of people involved in Anonymous, written in such a way that you consistently can't wait to see what's on the next page.

I don't know if it's just because I was really interested in Anonymous from the get-go or not, but I loved this. It wasn't drab and dry and boring like some non-fiction tends to be, this moved along at a brisk pace and set up each chapter perfectly. It told its story well, while informing people about a world that some people don't even know exists.

I've always been interested in Anon, but not well read on the matter. I know this one book doesn't tell me everything there is to know, but from someone who only heard about Anon here and there, and only had a basic understanding, I strongly recommend this.

Mostly it talks about the hactivism and lulz-inducing things that Anon does, but it does also touch on the darker side of the internet. One thing I like about 4chan and /b/ is that it has its own little world, it's own little community. I'm not going to get all philosophical here, but I sometimes think that they go about life the right way: make things a joke. It's like The Comedian in Watchmen, life is just a joke.

I'm not saying I think we should all laugh at problems of the world because problems need to be solved, but isn't it nice sometimes to just laugh? I'm what they'd call a moralfag as I don't see myself being interested in some of the shit they pull, but I get where they're coming from in other things. I'm not doing my explanation justice here so I'll just move on.

I was never bored during this, and like a good spy thriller, there were so many twists and turns, and they were written about really well. To people who think that a book about people who basically just sit on computers hacking and talking on IRC can't possibly be exciting, check this one out. Because it really is.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Are Anonymous.