Jeanie Jackson's Reviews > How I Came to Sparkle Again

F_50x66
Jan 02, 13

bookshelves: chick-lit, romance, read-2012, first-reads
Read from July 14 to 15, 2012

This novel is a delightfully warm and wonderful book. It is a beautiful story of friendship, romance, recovery and fun.

The four main characters are each facing a demoralizing loss. Six weeks after a miscarriage, Jill hears her husband making love to another woman in their bedroom, and in a shocked daze heads to the one place she feels she belongs, Sparkle, Colorado. Fireman-paramedic Mike Jones and his ten-year-old daughter Cassie are coping with the devastating death of wife and mother from breast cancer. Waking up one more time with a guy who has no interest in her as a person, Lisa comes to realizes that she has lost her self-respect and is wasting herself in the bar to bed to bar cycle that she has outgrown.

When Jill disappears, her husband thinks something bad has happened to her and cancels all of her credit cards and her bank access. With limited funds and no job, she must figure out how to take care of herself. Her friend Lisa has only a couch to offer, so Lisa’s neighbor Tom offers Jill a cheap room in his trailer, the infamous Kennel. Beyond that, he is able to offer her a job with the ski patrol for the rest of the season. Between the tacky but affordable housing, a job in the first aid room, and an overnight babysitting job every third day with Cassie, Jill has room to breathe while she figures out where to go from there.

The guys in the Kennel are mostly late twenty-ish males who work for the ski patrol while they fight off growing up. Lisa warns her that all the guys are Peter Pans who keep score of the women they sleep with, and the nurse in Jill has a problem with the hygiene of the house, but she soon comes to understand that the Kennel and its denizen have much more to offer than germs, drink and pot.

Working together, living together, and playing together brings this wonderful group of people into a warm bonding that helps her through the first tough days and on through the winter. Relationships grow and the characters grow stronger as winter passes in to Spring in this endearing novel.

From the introduction to the characters and their losses in the first chapter, I wondered if this was going to be a heavy handed “get right with God” story, but most definitely it is not. I enjoy Christian literature but this story isn’t even quite that. It is a story that tells us that we all need something to hold on to but it isn’t about church or religion, it is about people and the things they hold on to and the things they let go.

I won an ARC copy of this novel in a Goodreads First Reads drawing. The contests are offered in the hope that winners will review the book. It was my pleasure to do so, and I hope I did justice to this heartwarming book.

Note: I seldom give 5 star rating on Goodreads because I am comparing these books to the best I ever read. At other sites, I rate just to show much I recommend a book. This is a 5 star recommendation

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How I Came to Sparkle Again.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate Loveday Jeanie, I wonder how you can take time out from your reading to cook your fresh fish! Lol.

message 2: by Kate (new)