Jessie Potts's Reviews > Wicked Road to Hell

Wicked Road to Hell by Juliana Stone

Jun 27, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, romance
Read in June, 2012

Juliana Stone introduces readers to a brand new series with Wicked Road to Hell. I must warn, though, that while this League of Guardians novel is book one, the characters come from Stone's Jaguar series. If you loved the Jaguar books, you'll be pleased to read Wicked Road to Hell. But for readers just jumping on board, there is a lot of back story and history that you might miss. While it isn't integral to the plot, it does add much more to the character and story development.

Wicked Road to Hell gives us Declan O'Hara and Ana the Vampiress. Declan has spent the last few years of his life thinking that Ana was dead (other series) and is now a slave in Hell. A Seraphim (yes, many genres collide) saves him and wants Declan to repay the favor by finding someone for him. Ana was also brought back to life by this same being, to protect a boy Declan was tasked to find.

I haven't read the Jaguar series, so I really had to force myself to try to remember which character was which and which side they were on, as well as read between the lines to figure out relationships. Stone really delves into the world building, and the descriptions of Hell are torturous indeed. Declan and Ana have to figure out their own destinies and whether those destinies are meant to be together or if fate has decided otherwise.

I liked Wicked Road to Hell, even the crass language and rude names (though some were very offensive). I think, though, that had I read the Jaguar series, I would have lovedWicked Road to Hell. It's a darker paranormal romance, and the steam and heat are rougher and much more instinctual than in lighter books.
I have to say I also think Stone's characters, especially Ana's, are love 'em or hate 'em types. Ana is headstrong, devious and thinks she's tough, and sometimes that can come off as witchy, but with a B. But I liked her actions and even understood them.

If you love tough chicks, adore rough and tumble romances and swing to the darker, more violent side of the paranormal, then this book is for you. I do recommend reading the Jaguar series first (His Darkest Hunger, His Darkest Embrace, His Darkest Salvation).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Road to Hell.