Kelsey Bryant's Reviews > The Art of Travel

The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton

Aug 17, 14

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from June 27 to July 02, 2012

This book was eye-opening in so many ways that it's hard to know where to start reviewing! Alain de Botton, a well-traveled and well-read writer, takes a philosophical approach to getting the most out of traveling.
Besides writing about his own journeys, and sharing tantalizing details about the places he's seen, he also examines what famous writers, artists, and explorers can teach us about traveling.
I learned much. For one, it's mostly in the mind. You must be properly prepared to appreciate what you see; you must cultivate the right kind of searching curiosity about it, knowing the questions to ask in order to apply it to your life; the best way to retain what catches your eye is to try drawing it (even if you're not an artist) and writing about it with a "word-painting" (even if you're not a writer).
The author also went into the definition of loaded words such as "exotic" and "sublime." He described the influence that brochure pictures, guidebooks, and great art have on our travel experiences.
I skipped a few pages in one section because I thought it might be off-color, but other than that, every page was a treat. Not only will I get more out of every little place I go, I'll get more out of life because de Botton helped me see that there is significance in every detail.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Travel.