Loy Machedo's Reviews > The Fred Factor: How passion in your work and life can turn the ordinary into the extraordinary

The Fred Factor by Mark Sanborn

Jun 27, 12

Read in June, 2012

Let me get something off my chest.

Mark Sanborn is a nice guy and I like him. So, irrespective whatever I do state about the book, I doubt my loyalty towards Mark would change.

So now, let us begin the evaluation of ‘Fred Factor’.

Fred Factor is apparently a true story of a knock-your-sock-off-service postman who left such an indelible mark (on Mark), that it became a book and a message to the masses.

The gist of the whole book is simply this – Go the super extra mile not for self-benefit but for putting heart, soul and passion into work

The book is small, short and simple – 112 pages with around 28,000 words. The message is easily understood and the story drives home its message.

There are 4 sections to the book:
1) How the Author met Fred.
2) How you can become a Fred.
3) How you can help other Freds grow in your organization by
4) The importance and the value of being a Fred

And in case you are wondering how to help other Freds grow in your organization, according to the author it would be:
- Find – How you can recognize a Fred
- Reward – How should Fred’s be rewarded
- Educate – How to help people improve their Fredness
- Demonstrate – Model the Correct Behavior

The "Fred factor" is summarized by four principles that will release fresh energy, enthusiasm, and creativity in your career and life:
- Make a Difference
- Build Relationships
- Create Value
- Reinvent yourself

And to support his story, Mark gives the examples of:
- the flight attendant who entertains passengers with humorous announcements
- the hotel employee who goes out to get a client a special breakfast.
- the barman who lends Sanborn $30.
- the young Colin Powell who demonstrated energy and perfectionism even as a young boy performing cleaning duties.

Parts I was not impressed with:
- This is a feel-good-goody-goody-two-shoes kind of a book. Though the message is simple and profound, I would not say it landed as ‘the book’
- There is nothing ‘revolutionary’ about the concept. It is a simple story. That’s about it.
- Critics have called this the “ Chicken soup for the world-weary worker”, some others a mix of Norman Vincent Peale’s Positive Thinking and Dale Carneige’s How to Win Friends and Influence People.

Overall Verdict:
I would not say this is a revolutionary book or something that would impress you with awe and wonder, rather this is another one of those books you would read once and I guess that’s about it. If you are looking for a light read during your flight or a book to kill time, well this is your answer. Otherwise, I guess this is just another nice book. That’s about it.

Overall Rating
4 out of 10

Loy Machedo

8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fred Factor.