Christine's Reviews > Fifty Shades of Grey

Jun 27, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: 2012-reads
Read in June, 2012

Sweet, young and virginal college student Anastasia Steele is doing her sick friend a favour when she goes to interview multi-billionaire Christian Grey. As soon as she walks into his office the attraction is palpable. He is kind enough to warn her that he is “not the man for her” but this does not deter him from pursuing her to the point of stalking. You see, Christian has a secret. Instinct clouded by sheer physical attraction Ana agrees to see Christian and agrees to sign a non-disclosure agreement (what girlfriend wouldn’t?) and he quickly introduces her to his “red room of pain” explaining he likes to engage in BDSM. Ignoring her better judgement Ana listens to her “inner goddess” and decides to experiment with Christian.

This book has been getting quite a bit of hype and I understand there is a movie in the works. Personally, I don’t get it. I have no objection to erotic literature, and there is some that is very well done, but this book falls flat. In fact, as I was reading I couldn’t help but think if the author left out the “kinky” stuff it could well pass as YA. Ana is beyond annoying (she is involved with a “dominant” and keeps repeating “he is sooooo controlling” … dah!) and Christian, rather than being the erotic teacher, falls half a step short of creepy stalker dude (no amount of money and good looks could make up for his actions, even outside his red room!).

And now I am about to say something very sad. Despite the fact that this is not the best writing I have read I have an idea in my head as to where the story is going to go … I NEED to find out if I am right … so sadly am going to venture on to the second book in the series. That’s the price of my frustrated writer/inquiring minds personality.
3 likes · flag

Adriwho The first book was okay. The sex was steamy and a new reading area for me with BDSM. Something new to bring into the relationship! The writing is definitely not the best however I was curious too so continued on to book 2. I enjoyed the last two and totally fell in love with Mr. Grey! I hope you enjoy the 2nd book!

Christine Thanks for the comment. The consesus seems to be the same from most of the reviews I have read. How did this series get to be so popular???

Adriwho Well for me, I needed an escape. I basically found my self wishing I could find someone to "save me" and "worship" me and wanting to make sure I never had to worry about anything else ever again. And with all that taken care of, I can let my freak flag fly! Haha. Personally, I think that is why it became so popular! Prince Charming is here and he wants to spank you!