Lisa Rostocki's Reviews > Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks

Jun 27, 2012

it was ok
Read in June, 2012

This book is about an boy who has autism and his imaginary friend. In the beginning of the book the author prefices it by saying that Budo the imaginary friend knows much more than Max and has more intelligence. I would have thought that the author took that literary license to write in a more adult fashion. I actually looked up the book on the internet to see if it was meant for children to read.The book was written in a childish tone and flowed terribly in the beginning. I almost didn't continue reading it.

Halfway through the pace it picked up a little. The narrative voice of a childlike imaginary friend however did get irritating. At times I almost felt as though I was reading a childs book report who was just trying to fill some pages to get a good grade. As other readers have mentioned before the pooping references were really getting old and tired.

Most readers will like the preface of the book but I am not sure if a few will put it down because of the narrative tone that the author has chosen to use.

It was ok. Nothing terrible but nothing great either. An easy read, unfortunately sometimes too easy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend.

04/09/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa I'm one of those who picked up this book based on the great premise but am about to give up on it because of the tone. I don't understand all the 5 star reviews!

Courtney Perry I'm seven chapters in and feeling the same way. I'm not sure I can handle the tone/writing style much longer!

Courtney Perry Update...finished it and still couldn't agree with your review more!

Lisa Rostocki I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt that way. It is funny when you read so many great reviews sometimes you almost feel like an outcast when you don't agree. Thanks for the comments.

message 5: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa I never did finish it -- decided there were too many other books waiting to be read!