The Lit Bitch's Reviews > Water for Elephants

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Jun 29, 12

Read from June 27 to 29, 2012

This book had all the things that normally take hold of my heart and won’t let go. I love the romanticism of the circus. I love the gritty, noir-ish books. I love a tragic but happy star crossed lovers tale. But I was only luke warm about this book which really surprised me.

I was really looking forward to reading this since I have heard so many good things about the book….so many have raved about it. Needless to say my expectations were high but all expectations aside, I didn’t think this book lived up to the hype.

Marlene was too bland for me. I was not convinced of her strength, passion, or love for Jacob. On the flip side, I didn’t think Jacob loved her. I thought he was infatuated with her but not in love with her. I didn’t think there was enough interaction between the two characters to warrant a declaration of love.

See my full review here

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Water for Elephants.

Quotes The Lit Bitch Liked

Sara Gruen
“When two people are meant to be together, they will be together. It's fate.”

Sara Gruen
“...if you expect people to try to do things your way, you're going to have to give some hints as to what that way is.”

Sara Gruen
“I stare at her for a long moment. I want to kiss her. I want to kiss her more than I've ever wanted anything in my life.”