Kami's Reviews > Heaven Is Here: An Incredible Story of Hope, Triumph, and Everyday Joy

Heaven Is Here by Stephanie Nielson

Jun 27, 12

bookshelves: auto-biography
Read in June, 2012

This book is hard for me to rate. I did not finish this book feeling good. I felt like something was missing. It is a horrible, tragic story. I guess I was looking for more hope or perhaps to see the transformation that must have taken place after such an experience. The changes that did occur felt so abrupt. Stephanie shared so many intimate details about her life (some of them embarrassed me). Then during her experience in the burn center, she just sort of comes to terms with everything, feels right about it and then everything is fine within just a few sentences?!?!? I cannot imagine the horrors she must of been through and do not wish to judge her. I suppose I would have found the book inspirational if it had also included more of how she changed and hopefully was made a better person due to the horrific accident. Instead it just felt like her trying to go back to the way her life was before which is never possible. Experiences like that change you. Maybe a little more space between the accident and the writing would have given the depth I looked for.

Perhaps I should qualify this comment by also saying that I have never read her blog, though I hear it is quite popular.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven Is Here.

Jodi I agree with you. Mormon mommy blogs bug me and the first part of this book felt just like that. You're the first person I know who hasn't liked this book. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that had issues with it!