Theresa's Reviews > Five Miles South of Peculiar

Five Miles South of Peculiar by Angela Elwell Hunt

Jul 09, 12

Read from June 26 to July 07, 2012

My Thoughts
Five Miles South of Peculiar there is an estate called The Sycamores and this is where the Caldwell sisters grew up. It's also an apt description of many of the characters found throughout the book, including the sisters that grew up there.

Ms. Hunt has delved deeply into the relationship between sisters and how rivalry and resentment can and does carry over into their adult relationships. She tells each of their stories through three different viewpoints, Darlene's, Carlene's and Nolie's, allowing us to get a glimpse and a grasp on why they feel and act the way they do towards each other.

This is a clever way to present three different characters points of view and due to this, I found myself swinging back and forth with each character. At times, I couldn't stand one sister, but once I saw things from her perspective, I began to dislike another. My feelings kept swinging like this throughout the entire book. Of course, once I found out each of the sister's secrets, I definitely felt an empathy towards them all.

The story, set in a small southern town, with all the inherent small town personalities one would expect from such a book, were spot on. Ms. Hunt has woven a vivid tapestry of small town life and interwove it with the intricacies of sister relationships beautifully. This is definitely a book you should add to your summer reading list.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free through the Glass Road Public Relations blog tour program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Miles South of Peculiar.