Patrice Hoffman's Reviews > How I Came to Sparkle Again

Jul 18, 12

bookshelves: first-reads-giveaways
Read on July 18, 2012

*Received ARC through Goodreads giveaway*

This book is about two women, and a girl who have all come to a crossroad in their lives and are really just finding what can bring them happiness again. Jill has caught her husband cheating and returns to the town she grew up in. Lisa is looking for love and no longer wants to sell her self short. And Cassie is a ten year old who has recently endured the loss of her mother. Each character is looking for some sort of calm after the storm that is their lives.

I wouldn't categorize this specifically as romance because it's not super gushy or any "take me nows"... women's literature is a great way to categorize it. This novel is very inspiring and warm. There are sad, happy, triumphant, and surprising moments in this book. I was never bored. I just wanted to keep turning the pages.

My only gripe is that at times I thought I was reading Christian fiction. Every character at some point talked about their relationship with God or some higher being. Speaking of characters, they were all pretty well drawn out. It was easy to feel for Cassie and Jill because they had been through the most and I cheered for them finding some resolve the whole time.

The setting was extremely picturesque and made me wish I could visit a skiing town. Although I'm no fan of snow or winter, this author was able to remind me that sometimes winter is beautiful. I would love to read more by this author.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How I Came to Sparkle Again.

Quotes Patrice Liked

Kaya McLaren
“If you can, judge less and observe more.”
Kaya McLaren, How I Came to Sparkle Again