Wai's Reviews > The Indigo Spell

The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead

Feb 19, 2013

bookshelves: favorites
Read from February 13 to 19, 2013

Following on from my review of Bloodlines: The Golden Lily, it is finally February 2013 and all can see is "YES!"

Alright, I suppose I should say a little more otherwise this would be a pretty short review.

To start with, this book alone ensures that this Bloodlines spin off series has matured into a series of its own right and can stand equal to the excellent Vampire Academy series (oh, and in case you didn't know; Blood Sisters, the film of Vampire Academy has its three main characters cast and should be coming to a cinema near year on 14th February 2014!).

The Indigo Spell starts a short time after the aching ending of The Golden Lily where Sydney and Adrian are thrown together when they are to attend a wedding of some loved characters (I'll say this now, it's not Rose and Dmitri although they both make a welcome visit as does Lissa). Unfortunately for Sydney, other alchemists are also there and so she has to keep up the appearance of what is expected of an alchemist. Which is not helped when Adrian does what he does best and causes delightful mischief in his own way.

And that's what this book is primarily about; the relationship between Sydney and Adrian or 'Sydrian' as the Twitter fan base seems to have taken to calling them. We already know Adrian's feelings from the last book and to be honest, we also knew Sydney's in respect of Adrian even if she wasn't willing to admit them to herself. What we didn't know was if Sydney was strong enough to overcome her alchemist prejudice and her own mind to let her heart lead her. Does she? That would be telling, but The Indigo Spell is an amazing journey in finding out. I just have to say, though, that one particular stop of that journey involves painting t-shirts at a sorority party is one of the best scenes.

But that's not all Sydney has to cope with. There is also a really good side plot concerning Sydney's natural affinity for magic and how she has to also learn to embrace that side of herself and moving further and further away from alchemist teachings in order to battle a evil witch who is stealing the youth and power of young witches. There is a lovely twist in the end of this side plot that I just did not see coming.

As for the question of "who is Marcus Finch?" I felt this was rather anti-climatic. Perhaps he'll have more to play as the series progresses but I honestly hope not. On the other hand, if he was only there as a warning to Sydney then he more than accomplished his role. The best way that I can describe him is 'immature'.

Because of the intensity of Sydney and Adrian's relationship story and Sydney's constant travelling to find the rogue witch, Jill, Eddie and Angelina aren't given a whole lot of page time but fortunately things progress quite nicely. Angelina still manages to cause trouble in more ways than one and could another couple be in the making? Let's hope so.

We also get to briefly meet Sydney's family again or at least her father, the epitome of what it means to be an alchemist (*cough*asshole*cough*) and Zoe, Sydney's younger sister with whom, she had not parted on the best of terms in Bloodlines.

However, this is the third book in the series and those who have read any of Richelle Mead's series will know that there is always a somewhat of a shocking ending in these third books. Whilst not a true cliff hanger per se but just when everything appears to be wrapped up aside from the few openings that need to be left open for the continuance of the series, we are suddenly left with "how will Sydney get out of that?!"

The Fiery Heart (I think we can thank Adrian for the name) isn't out until November. It's going to be a long nine month wait for the next in this wonderful series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Indigo Spell.