Michelle's Reviews > Some Girls Are

Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers

Jun 27, 2012

Read in June, 2012

I read Courtney Summers' debut novel 'Cracked Up to Be' about a year ago and, for me, it was one of those "WOW" books that has never left my head. It captured my imagination so vividly that i remember it as if it were a movie, the faces and the feelings i had reading it are that clear. So to say my hopes were high for 'Some Girls Are' is an understatement.

I don't think it's as good as 'Cracked Up to Be'.

There i said it.

That's not to say that i was disappointed however, far from it! Courtney has a way of writing that is so ...REAL. You really feel as if it's all really happening or could easily happen. Sometimes when reading i realise that i'm imagining a character that looks similar to someone i know or a character from a t.v show, but with Courtney's books i can imagine how every person looks and every scene in detail and she manages to do that without bogging the book down with endless amounts of description! I don't know how she does it!

At first i struggled to empathise with Regina. ("Raise your hand if you've ever felt personally victimised by Regina George...") Yep it totally reminded me of Mean Girls. Not only does she she share the same name but Regina had been just that; a mean girl. So when she is suddenly on the receiving end of the wrath of her 'friends' i kinda thought "Karma!". The bullying in the book gets so extreme, however, that i soon felkt bad for Regina and some scenes meant for uncomfortable reading. It's not exaggerated either, these things happen to kids EVERY DAY. And you feel it. You feel every bi of humiliation and hopelessness tha Regina feels. It made me sad to think that some people feel like that every day of their school lives.

Girls can be mean. Hell they can be downright evil to one another and this book really does a good job of showing that. I really enjoyed the book and Courtney Summers is fast becoming one of my favourite writers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Girls Are.