Avry15's Reviews > Loving Summer

Loving Summer by Kailin Gow

Jun 27, 2012

bookshelves: contemporary, family, romance, reviewed, young-adult
Read in June, 2012

originally appeared on: Bookshelf Confessions

Shame, but I haven’t read any of Kailin’s book other than this. And like many other readers, I did enjoy reading “Loving Summer”.

I am a bit hesitant of reviewing the book actually. Not because I don’t like it, but because I have problems reading e-books. But when the tour comes out, it just happens, I sign-up for review and here I am. Note: My review is not influenced by my participating in the blog tour. This is my own honest opinion.

I really like the main character, she’s not the type that goes “I’m not worthy for your affection” and she’s not also someone who just jumps to a boy whenever he shows attraction towards her. Summer is different from any contemporary female lead.

Kailin’s writing style was a bit descriptive that it seemed I could feel the breeze on my face. (Oh, I love summer). She managed to give us enough details about Drew, Nat and Astor, that it would make the readers really think of who should Summer end up with. There was such depth in each of the character, that you would really sympathize with each, which makes it harder for Summer. Kailin made the idea of 3 guys falling for the same girl genuine, like I could see why they’d tend to like Summer. Naturally, the love story isn’t forced at all.

I also salute the author for merging family issues into young adult contemporary romance. The book talks about divorce and how it affects the children and even health and life issues. So you guys get the picture, it’s not just a book that focuses on boys and love, it has depth too.

It’s not until the very end of the book that I realize this is going to be a series. So there are a lots of things that are left open, even who Summer will end up with. But for me, I have already chosen someone for her ( I wouldn’t spoil the fun by telling you so..:))

One thing the bugs me though, is that why would Summer kissed all of them (not really jealous..:)).. and yet she didn’t even know what she really felt…and I do wish she spent more time with her best friend Rachel. It’s also a little bit the same with Jenny Han's "The Summer I Turned Pretty" but with different conflicts plus there’s not a love triangle but a love square.

Overall, I enjoyed reading the book. It was short (for me) and fun mixed with drama and love.. It’s my only summer read with summer as a theme so Highly recommended to your summer-read-shelf..:)
I’ll definitely read the next book and see what would happen next…

2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loving Summer.

04/25 marked as: read