Vidya-BooksAreMagic's Reviews > Thorn

Thorn by Intisar Khanani

Jun 27, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, blog-tour, fantasy, young-adult, fairy-tales
Read from June 26 to 27, 2012

Princess Alyrra is a kind, honest and polite girl, but without the knowledge and courage to become a Queen. When the King of a larger country comes to seek friendship with their country by marrying the Princess to his son, Alyrra is forced to do her cruel mother's and brother's wishes. On her way to her betrothed’s kingdom, an evil sorceress, who is an enemy to the King, switches her life with her a traitor girl called Valka. Valka have always been jealous of Alyrra. Now, she gets the chance of being the real Princess, while Alyrra was asked to work as a goose girl. Always subjected to unkind behaviour from her family and friends, Alyrra feels free, when she gets to be someone other than her. But, the kingdom and the Prince is in danger. While Alyrra is so reluctant to give up her new-found freedom, will she allow the Prince and the kingdom to suffer in the hands of the sorceress and Valka?

Recently, I am having a great reading experience with different new authors. Intisar Khanani is one of them. This novel is supposed to be a retelling of the goose girl tale. Being in India, I have never learnt about them. But, this novel is pure enjoyment. I was thrilled to read it from start to finish. The writing is so beautiful, bringing the whole scene before your eyes and capturing your full attention.

Please don't judge this book by the blurb provided. It has many beautiful moments that will keep you enchanted. Although I have some moments, where I get confused by how this scene occurred all of a sudden, that definitely didn't stop me from enjoying it.

Love it and would recommend!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thorn.