Jessica's Reviews > Dinner: A Love Story: It All Begins at the Family Table

Dinner by Jenny Rosenstrach

Jul 12, 12

bookshelves: cooking-food
Read from June 26 to July 11, 2012

This was a really interesting book. I can't remember when I first found the author's blog of the same name, but I really liked it so I was excited to read the book when it came out. Since I haven't been following the blog from the beginning the book tells the story of how Jenny started keeping track of what she ate or made for dinner every night and how that evolved when she had children and then further evolved into her blog. The book is divided into 3 parts - the first part explains how Jenny started keeping track of her meals and the beginning of her relationship with her husband Andy. Part 2 describes the insanity of trying to plan meals and eat them with some semblance of order with small children in the picture. Part 3 describes when the children are older and Jenny's goal of having everyone eat dinner together and eat (mostly) the same meal. There are lots of recipes in each section that have been vetted by Jenny and her family as well as readers of the blog. Overall, it was a really unique book that I definitely enjoyed.

Here is my favorite quote from the book:

"Homemade stock is a luxury most people cannot afford. Not in the material sense but in terms of time. Who has the time and energy to add one more task to the to-do list after the cooking, the feeding, the math-homework 'helping,' the eat-your-broccoli-ing, the cleaning, the dishwashing, the backpack unpacking, the lunch packing, the bathing, the bedtime storying, the back tickling, the please-just-one-more-kiss-goodnighting? Somehow the guy I married did. (How on earth did that happen?) More important than the fact that using homemade stock instead of the store-bought kind made soups and stews taste a zillion times better, he knew that it made me happy...I'm not sure I can think of a better definition of love." (p.287)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dinner.