Kristine Coumbe's Reviews > The Age of Miracles

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

Jun 26, 2012

bookshelves: fiction
Read in June, 2012

The main idea of the earth slowing in the near future and all the effects it has on a family in southern California trying to carry on. The center of the story revolves around a 12 year old girl with a keen sense of observation watching the effects of the world changing in her life and her parent's marriage. The title has two meanings, first the very amazing events of time expanding as the world slows on it's axis and the second has do with the age of adolescence and middle school.

As the year progresses and the effects of a slowing world tear at humanity's existence the reader becomes more and more drawn in to the fascinating concept posed by Walker. I was however disappointed with the ending. Not only did it fall flat after building throughout the book it then goes back and forgets what was previously said about gravity and sunlight. I think the author should have ended the book year or so later from the time of the slowing and not drag it 10 years. I was quite disappointed with the ending after a strong and promising beginning.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Miracles.