Maria Waltner's Reviews > The Emerald Talisman

Jun 28, 12

Read from June 26 to 28, 2012

Reasons I didn't like it:

1.) Too much like Twilight:
- The boy, Nicholas, is a half-vampire with all the speed and night vision etc. of a regular vampire but he's different. He kills other vampires and doesn't drink blood. He drives too fast and he met Julia in the woods after "something" which Nicholas calls a mountain lion initially starts to stalk her. Julia is "special" - she can feel the emotions of other people. She falls headfirst in love with Nicholas at first sight. He's rude to her and doesn't explain things and she immediately thinks he doesn't love her anymore.

There just seems to be very little original plot here. Seems to capitalize on the current vampire / werewolf market.

2.) Poorly edited/ Ludicrous dialogue:
- On the back cover, "'The Emerald Taliman' is her debut novel." You couldn't even get the name of the book right? At another point, Julia is trying to talk all secretively to her friends when she notices some girls eavesdropping. "'Get lost from your sandbox?' Katie yelled at them across the table." Um, ok. Of all the things you could have said to get them to back off and that's what you go with? There's more but I'm too lazy to flip through and find the exact places I had problems. Much of it was word order and word choice. I remember thinking - "I don't think that word means what you think it means..."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emerald Talisman.