Michelle (Michelle&Leslie's Book Picks)'s Reviews > Earthseed

Earthseed by Pamela Sargent

I'm not much of a sci-fi fan, but Earthseed sounded like an interesting read so I decided to give the novel and the genre a chance.

When I was reading the novel there were quite a few things that bothered me but after I finished it and thought about it, it was an okay read overall. I am going to break down my review into three parts to explain my thoughts:

First, let's talk plot. It was interesting and different--obviously I kept reading and finished the novel. However, I had a like/dislike relationship with it throughout. Some parts I would be excited and interested, but in other points of the book I'd be confused and restless. The pacing was uneven and there were events that happened that came out of nowhere without warning. However, there was a lot of action and unexpected plot twists.

Secondly, the characters. There was a lot of different personalities aboard Ship. I thought their actions were logical to their persona and the situations they were in. Together, the group dynamics of the characters were fascinating. But another reason why I couldn't really get into this book was because I couldn't relate to any of the characters, even the main character Zoheret. When I read I like having that character (usually the main character) I can get behind on and root for and sympathized for and I wasn't able to do that here. I think there's no true character development if you look at the characters individually.

Lastly, the writing. It took some getting used to and I honestly couldn't get into it for most of the book. Maybe it's because the novel was written and first published in the 1980s? Although that's not a good excuse. However, I wish it was written in the perspective of Zoheret instead of it being in third-person limited omniscient, or written in third-person but centered on Zoheret. Maybe then I'd be able to empathize with her more.

Overall, despite my problems with it, believe it or not but Earthseed was an admittedly okay read for me. Not great, but not bad either. The main story was fascinating and that's what kept me reading. I think those who love their science fiction novels will enjoy and appreciate this book. They'll easily get into the action-packed, twisty story with an intriguing plot line. Also, I heard Earthseed was recently Paramount and I am interested and excited to see how a movie version of this novel will turn out.

**Reviewed by Leslie for Michelle & Leslie's Book Picks book blog.**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Earthseed.