Michelle (Michelle&Leslie's Book Picks)'s Reviews > The Rivals

The Rivals by Daisy Whitney

My sister really liked The Mockingbirds and has urged me to read it for a while. I still haven't picked it up but when we were sent a review copy of its sequel The Rivals, I decided to read it instead. It turned out to be such a great read that I'm making it a goal for myself to read The Mockingbirds this summer as soon as I get the chance.

I loved this book. It was unputdownable (I'd begrudgingly put it down only when necessary--for food and sleep) and when I finally finished reading it, I was blown away by the book's overall amazing-ness, awesomeness and honesty. The meaningful and relevant themes had left me pondering. The surprising plot twists kept me at the edge of my seat. The great characters (both the good and the bad) were so living-and-breathing kind of real and true.

While I hadn't read The Mockingbirds, I could tell from just reading this book that Alex, the main character, must have grown and developed a lot from that first novel. I loved and rooted for her all throughout The Rivals as she kept on being the bigger person, overcoming her demons, and persevering until the very end, and then coming out strong and beautiful--the person she was meant to be. She was such a relatable character--smart, talented, and passionate. I admired her boldness and bravery, how she didn't give up or get discouraged when everything around her seemed almost unfixable. She truly was a great heroine and role model. She's the type of heroine I hope and aspire to be.

Although The Rivals is a sequel to The Mockingbirds, it can be read as a standalone and still be enjoyable. It is absolutely a must-read for everyone. Alex is now one of my all-time favorite YA characters. I'm so happy I got to read this book. I am looking forward to reading The Mockingbirds very soon.

**Reviewed by Leslie for Michelle & Leslie's Book Picks book blog.**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rivals.