Florence W's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality by Eliezer Yudkowsky

Dec 10, 12

Read from June 26 to December 10, 2012

One mention of the term "fan-fiction" and everything goes downhill with fallacious preconceptions. But despite the ditsy impression that fan-fiction holds, Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality should not be judged by its medium.

I was introduced to this ebook on a lazy night through a Reddit thread, and my initial curiosity through the first five chapters turned into a higher admiration as I read on to the double-digit chapters. Everything is so excellently constructed - J.K. Rowling's style emulation, the explanation of scientific theories, the characters' three-dimensional thought processes, all the unexpected twists... this is something that can produce both audible laughter and a more serious reflection on the ways of life.

Yudkowsky is an extremely talented author in all respects; not only has this ebook provided me a wonderful source of entertainment, it's also introduced me to unfamiliar concepts in scientific reasoning, critical judgment, and strategic tactics not unlike the ideas of Orson Scott Card. The only downside, though, is reading through a computer screen and not a nice hardcover copy. Note: I am still in the middle of reading this ebook.

It's disappointing to see the lengths people go to avoid reading something solely due to the label "fan-fiction". While their impressions of the genre may not be completely false for other works, Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is a great piece of art that they should definitely at least TRY to read, before making any groundless assumptions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.