ScottK's Reviews > The Mysterious Island

The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne

Feb 15, 09

Read in February, 2009

Last year I participated with a group of friends in doing a Secret Santa. This was the book that my Santa gave me (as well as Gulliver's Travels). I think it was because of the fact I was moaning about the lack of any Verne on Maui. I am SOOOOO glad my santa chose this book for me. It was amazing. Yes there were some dry parts, unless you like painstaking detail about how to make Iron or Bricks, but even they were quickly dispatched, and could be skimmed without really mising anything.

Verne's Characters rank in loveability with Characters such as Jim Hawkins,Rhett Butler,Huck Fynn and Tom Sawyer, as a matter of fact there were not many characters I did not like,other than the ones you were supposed to dislike. For me,IMHO, This Classic ranks right up there with The Count of Monte Christo, Great Expectations ETC. I have already read Journey to the Centre of the Earth and again in my humble opinion this outranks it by miles! If you are not familiar with Verne I think this qwould be a great one to start with. And no matter how knowledgeable you are, the end will leave you saying WTF. However, all the Mysteries of said Mysterious Island are dealt with and you are not left with the feeling of ok now what happens.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mysterious Island.

01/14/2009 page 85
01/26/2009 page 150
20.75% "I am actually on hold because some friends are reading it in Feb. But I am really enjoying it."
02/04/2009 page 168
23.24% "Ok it's February, so it's back on !! I have missed it while it was on hold."
show 10 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Boof (new) - added it

Boof Fab review Scott. This book has been staring at me from my shelf ever since you started it - I MUST read this soon.

Lori Yay!
I am so happy you liked this. It was my first Verne , and none of the others I have read have been able to touch it!

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Shoulders I am only about 1/3 of the way thru it. Checked out the movie at the library and had to stop it just a short way in because it was so absurdly different than the book - totally ridiculous. I'll stick with the book!

David Sarkies Yep, I found the same with this book, though the way they industrialised the island was fascinating.