Mickey Reed's Reviews > Something like Normal

bookshelves: 2012, ereader
Recommended for: Everyone.
Read on August 13, 2012 , read count: 1

See full review here!

Yep. 5 stars, guys. This book was AWESOME and AMAZING! I had NO idea what it was about; I'd just heard a lot of really great things. So I thought I'd try it out and DUDE, I was seriously sucked in by the end of the first paragraph! It made me laugh hysterically, and the rest of the book made me FEEL so much. I was up and down, happy and sad, freaking out and just at peace with Travis. Oh yeah, I loved that this was male POV. Trish Doller does an amazing job at that! And Harper. I think even I would date that girl! LOL She is just.. cool. She's just what Travis needs when he's at home on leave from the war. Gahh!

So I could basically go on all day long about how awesome I thought this book was. It's a very quick read, and there's a LOT going on. I was worried for Travis almost the whole time because I have friends who've gone overseas for the war, and it's hard stuff! That's obviously an understatement because I've never been there or dealt with it, but Doller does a seriously FAB job showing PTSD from a male war vet POV. Just amazing stuff.

Goodness. I can't put it into words. I cried a little a couple different times because of all the stuff going on in Travis's life. He's back from the war, his family is a bit of a mess (and that's not even considering the fact that his girlfriend sent him a small note while he was overseas saying that she's with his brother now.. yeah, joy), and his head just isn't with it yet. This is such a meaningful, powerful story! I want every book to affect me the way this one has.

That's all I can say. A 5-star rating should speak for itself, but I always want to try. I just effing loved this book. I can't wait for more from Doller!!
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something like Normal.

08/13/2012
1.0% "First two paragraphs already have me laughing! I think I'm going to like this."
20.0% "Ohh this is different. I like!!" 2 comments
47.0% "So good!"
08/13/2012
75.0% "Gahhhh I could punch Ryan!!!!"
08/13/2012
99.0% "Ahhh! 5 star review coming :o)"