Jay Jason's Reviews > Anna Dressed in Blood

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Jun 26, 12

Read in June, 2012

I haven't read something that's scared me in a while.

That was the main reason I picked up Anna Dressed in Blood. I wanted to read something that would make me terrified to go to sleep at night. So terrified that I wouldn't be able to go to sleep without a night light and a teddy bear. Oh, and those pillow things that light up could help.

A quarter of the way through this book, I was pretty scared. Anna rips a person in half. In half! And she doesn't do it the normal way. She plunges her hands deep inside the victims chest and then separated then, tearing the poor soul clean in two.

That's some pretty scary stuff.

But then the scariness subsides. Cas (the protagonist) starts to get to know Ana better and engages in heartfelt conversation with her. To me, this was a little random. If you were going to kill someone/something, would you go to their house and spill your guts to them about how hard you life is? That part of the story wasn't the greatest.

All of the characters in Anna are well-rounded and likable. From Cas to Carmel (popularity queen) to Thomas, (socially awkward magic guy) all of the characters are worthy of your time. Even the cat is cool. He can smell ghosts, which is pretty much as awesome as cats can get.

As the story progresses, we get less and less scary, killer Anna and more and more sympathetic, innocent Anna. In fact, the real baddie ghost person that we're supposed to cower in fear over is introduced about 80% into the book. We shouldn't have to wait that long in a good horror story.

Towards the end, I had to accept that Anna was going to be more of a protagonist than a psycho murder demon, and once I did, I could enjoy the book more. It became clear that horror is not the main genre here, but more of a sub-genre. But the climax was great, and the ending was nice and fulfilling.

It won't scare most readers, but Anna Dressed in Blood is still enjoyable in itself.

Grade: B-
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna Dressed in Blood.