Vanessa's Reviews > Wicked

F_50x66
Jun 26, 12

bookshelves: teen-mystery, young-adult
Read in January, 2012

The big problem is that this book has the same plot as the rest of the books in this series. It really feels like all of the girls are repeating the same mistakes that they made before. The entire book feels like filler. Not a whole lot happens in this book. Structurally, this book is very similar to the previous book. It really emphasizes the feeling that this series has told this same story before. When the same things happen to characters over and over again, it just isn't trashy fun anymore.

There are still some aspects of the story that I liked much more than the previous book, earning this two stars. Unlike the previous book, we did not start this book with a lot of exciting plot developments, only for them to be ignored. At the end of the previous book, it looked like Hanna should have an interesting story for this book. While I did not love it, Hanna's chapters in this book at least continued with what Shepard set up in the previous book.

If you are very concerned about spoilers, you might want to skip this part, though everything I mention occurs at least a little past the half-way point of the novel. All these books have problematic elements, but the one that is standing out to me the most is what these books seem to be saying about young women having relationships with older men. The book seems to be implying that Ali instigated a relationship with Ian, who is sometimes painted as completely innocent in the situation. Again, Aria's story centers around her relationship with an older man. This case seems to subvert the usual message of the series, but it did not work for me. It feels more like the message has just changed to statutory rape is fine, as long as the guy isn't in his thirties, because it's creepy then.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked.