Sherwood Smith's Reviews > The Giver

162084
May 05, 09

did not like it
bookshelves: disappointments-or-just-set-aside, fantasy

One of those books that others find meaningful that I found to be a cheat at the keelson level. Brains work differently, I guess.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giver.

03/27 marked as: read

message 1: by Eileen (last edited Jul 04, 2012 05:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eileen What is the keelson level? I don't understand the nautical implications? Do you mean at a gut level? ??

Sherwood Smith I should have said fundamentally. Some of my one liner reviews especially are years old.

I really dislike the emotional manipulation of this novel that (imo) masquerades as insightful. I don't think that this book addresses difficult questions, though it tries to imply that it does, but more damning, it doesn't encourage the reader to decide for themselves what is best, it tells the reader what to think.

Even if its conclusions about Individuality vs. Community were correct, it doesn't present arguments, except in straw man form: I cam away from it feeling that the reader is not left with insight but an opinion heavily coated with sentiment.

Eileen Interesting. Thanks.
I was left undecided. Interesting concepts though. Growing up with pseudo family. Deleting those that don't conform. Eradicating pain, suffering but also growth.... I'm in limbo.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Hmm. I've been thinking of checking this out (my kids saw the movie last night: two thumbs up, one meh) but looking at your review and others are making me rethink that. I've probably read too many dystopian books at this point in my life for The Giver to strike me as offering something new and thought-provoking.

Sherwood Smith My own feeling is that emotional manipulation is masquerading as insight. (And it obviously works with many readers.)

message 6: by Estara (new)

Estara In the YA on the screen panel at Loncon, all the panelists loved the book, but were very sceptic about the movie with Jeff Bridges

Sherwood Smith Yeah--when I was a teacher, it was a real hit with some kids, while others would hate it but not be able to say why.

message 8: by Estara (new)

Estara Never read it myself, but it does seem to have had great impact in the US.

Dana Dunn I love this book

Sherwood Smith Dana Dunn wrote: "I love this book"

I know a lot of readers who agree!