Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)'s Reviews > Glamorous Illusions

Glamorous Illusions by Lisa Tawn Bergren

Can you imagine waking up one day and finding out that everything that you thought you knew about your past was false? This is what happens to Cora Diehl. It’s not bad enough that her father has had a stroke and the crops on the family farm are failing, but now a stranger appears and turns Cora’s world upside down.

Through Cora’s story we are taken from a hard scrabble existence into unbelievable opulence. One day she is worried about how they will survive tomorrow and the next she has more than she can ever imagine at her fingertips.

This is a wonderful story about the gritty dynamics of blended families. Some days you stick together like glue because you share a common bond and other days you tear each other apart in order to keep what you perceive as rightfully yours. Add all of that to the glamorous backdrop of a European tour and you have the makings of a powerful story full of intrigue, romance and the search for significance.

Lisa Bergren does historical fiction well. Through her characters’ dialogs and descriptions you are transported into the past where you can practically see, hear, taste and smell the essence of all that surrounds the scene. My only complaint is that there is a bit of a cliffhanger at the end. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good thing…I just need the next installment to come quickly!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glamorous Illusions.