Nicole 's Reviews > The Orchardist

The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin

Jan 24, 14

bookshelves: spring-2013
Read from March 20 to 24, 2013

I had my sights on this book since I saw that it was going to be featured at BEA12, last year. Sadly I missed it while it was there, but got a second chance at reading this book when TLC was hosting a tour for it. This was a historical fiction that sounded interesting. A man who takes in two young women who are pregnant in on his Orchard.

This book was a departure from what what I have been reading recently. Not just in terms of the genre and plot, but also in terms of the writing and the structure. At first I wasn't sure if I could even continue with the story because I wasn't a fan of the style. I didn't like how the story went off on tangents that I didn't feel were pertinent to the story.

I also was not a fan of the lack of quotation marks around speech. This happens to be a huge pet peeve of mine because not only did it fail to break the book up to rest my eyes, but it also confused things. There was a point near the end of the book where I had to re-read the scene a few times because I couldn't quite grasp what was happening in the scene.

The plot wasn't exactly what I thought it was going to be. The synopses gives you the impression that the book will cover the stay of the girls at the Orchard, but instead it covered a span of more than 25 years starting with the girls arrival in the town. On one hand I really enjoyed that we got to see the whole journey, we got to see the arrival of the girls into town and the birth of their children and they journey as the children grew up. There was so much to the story, that I loved that rather than only get a snipped, we really got everything, we got to know about the girls and where they came from and where they ended up.

The cast of characters were all so wonderful and unique, I adored getting to know Caroline, Talmadge, Jane, and Della. There were times that I really detested some of the characters, but that comes with the story, and if everyone was perfect, then the story would have no point because it wouldn't have gone anywhere. It was beautifully written and a real treat to get to enjoy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Orchardist.