Stephanie Cowart's Reviews > America, You Sexy Bitch: A Love Letter to Freedom

America, You Sexy Bitch by Meghan McCain

Aug 06, 12

Read from June 26 to August 01, 2012

This book came recommended by my friend Kelly (and I almost always love her recommendations!) and Mandy, The Well Read Wife, was giving away copies in exchange for reviews so I was excited to check it out.
I almost never read non-fiction books (maybe 8 a year out of the 100 I usually read) but I really enjoyed this one.
Meghan and Michael are almost polar opposites and it was fun to see how they reacted to living together for a few months travelling around America. I didn't agree entirely with either one on their political beliefs (I mean who ever agrees entirely with someone anyway?) but that didn't stop me from enjoying the book.
There were some "eye-rolling" moments though. I mean was it really necessary to have a night on the town in the Vegas strip joints to experience "real America"? And smoking joints in New Orleans? In some ways their trip seemed like a giant party with some ocassionally interesting sight seeing and conversations with the locals. But I'm sure a lot of that is their personalities.
But their journey kept me reading and I liked the alternating view points of each place they visited. They did stop in Nashville and I really enjoyed their adventures there.
I'm pretty cynical when it comes to politics because I feel like overall politicians almost everywhere but especially anywhere near Washington D.C. are out of touch with reality. So this book didn't necessarily change any of my beliefs but I enjoyed hearing the different view points.
And the overarching purpose of the book - a Republican and Democrat coming together and being able to have intelligent conversation about issues etc. - was enough to make me want to pick it up. I think it's important to be willing to really hear people and not just spout party rhetoric or worse media talking points.
Definitely recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read America, You Sexy Bitch.

06/28/2012 page 32
9.0% "Enjoying this more than I thought I would."
show 5 hidden updates…