Keertana's Reviews > Survive

Survive by Alex Morel

Aug 12, 12

bookshelves: why-the-hype
Read from August 08 to 10, 2012

I feel as if you need to be a certain type of person to really like Survive and somehow, I just didn’t fit into that role. Not only have I never been depressed, known anyone who has committed suicide, or known anyone who has died from cancer, I’ve also read more than my fair share of survival stories. For me, Survive was one of those novels where the author threw you head-first into the conflicted emotions of a character and almost expected you to understand them opposed to making you understand them, and that is where the majority of my problems lie with this story. While it has a fascinating premises, Survive simply does not work to create a rich and compelling novel about suicide and familial issues while simultaneously throwing in a plot of survival, which made my experience with this story far from exhilarating.

I think the plotline of Survive is quite standard and predictable if you’ve read a decent amount of survival novels and YA Romance stories. Jane, our protagonist, is flying home to visit her mother after spending some time in a facility where she has been fooling her doctors into thinking she is no longer suicidal. Just when Jane is about to kill herself on the plane though, the airplane crashes, leaving her stranded on a mountain during a blizzard with only one other passenger – her flight-mate, Paul. As Paul and Jane struggle to survive, Jane also slowly begins to realize the beauty and gift that living truly is, but just as she is beginning to want to live, the question of her survival in the wilderness hangs over her head like a plague.

I really enjoyed the premises of Survive, but I found the novel to be extremely hard to get into. In fact, the plane doesn’t even crash until nearly a third of the story is over and all we’ve actually learned in that time is that the only reason Jane feels compelled to commit suicide is because her father and grandmother and other members of her family have killed themselves too. Call me heartless, but I didn’t think that was enough of a reason to really want to kill yourself. I mean, generations of my family have had diabetes, but that doesn’t mean I’m stuffing myself with unhealthy food so I can get diabetes too! I just couldn’t connect with Jane on any level and found her narration to be difficult to read as well since my attention kept wandering. Furthermore, I couldn’t comprehend how Jane’s desire to kill herself evaporated once she realized that she and Paul were the lone survivors of their plane crash. While I do agree that life-threatening situations can really change a person’s outlook on the world, I felt as if her change of heart was too drastic to really be moving or realistic in the least.

Jane aside, I thought the romance in this story was quite unnecessary. I’ll admit that I liked Paul and enjoyed many of his conversations with Jane, but I wasn’t invested in this whirlwind love story at all. Plus, I found the ending of this story to be too predictable, not to mention the actual survival feats to be lame and disappointing. I’ve read much better survival stories than this one and really can’t recommend this to anyone, unless you haven’t read any survival stories in the past. If you’re looking for a survival story, look elsewhere. If you’re looking for a deep and provocative read, also look elsewhere. I just don’t feel like this is a book I’d want anyone else to read – it was disappointing on way too many levels.

You can read this review and more on my blog, Ivy Book Bindings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Survive.

08/09/2012 page 108
40.0% "So far, this is really boring. I don't like Jane's narration and the plane just crashed after one hundred pages of boredom. I guess I'm expecting too much since the last novel I read with a suicidal character was This is Not a Test and I doubt this can compare...should I even continue? I'll come back to this in a few hours..." 6 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge (new)

Inge I wants

Keertana I'm actually not sure how I feel about this one. So far, the reviews have been good, so I'm hoping it's good! :)

message 3: by Inge (new)

Inge It sounds really good!

Keertana Yup! Plus, I haven't read a survival story for the past five or six years, so I'm looking forward to this!

Sarah ~Slow reader, or slowly reading? ;) Hmm. Sounds a bit like This is Not a Test with the whole suicide/survival attempts. But it does sound interesting.

message 6: by Inge (new)

Inge Sarah ~Slow reader, or slowly reading? ;) wrote: "Hmm. Sounds a bit like This is Not a Test with the whole suicide/survival attempts. But it does sound interesting."

I suppose they sound alike in a way, but if I'm not mistaken, This is Not a Test has zombies. So I think it'll be an entirely different angle than being ship-wrecked. Both sound amazing!

Keertana This is Not a Test was amazing! I feel as if more than a survival story, that was a psychological thriller in so many ways and this seems to be compared to more typical survival stories of people stranded in forests, etc. I'll be reading it soon though, so we'll see!(:

message 8: by Anne (new) - rated it 1 star

Anne I really enjoyed your review. It covered all the problems I had with this novel. I couldn't connected to this book at all.

Keertana Phew! I am so glad it wasn't just me, Anne! I read so many glowing reviews of this one and was thoroughly confused as to exactly what was so great about this. It's good to know I'm not alone and I'm glad you felt the same way! :)