Helen's Reviews > Klonopin Lunch: A Memoir

Klonopin Lunch by Jessica Dorfman Jones

Jul 26, 12

Read from July 25 to 26, 2012

I don't read memoirs, particularly those by women, very often. Mostly because I find that most female memoirists walk around the point and do so much navel gazing and blaming others that it just gets boring. Plus, they rarely tell us about the nitty gritty about what was ACTUALLY going on in their head when they did (at least what the consider) very bad things - which to me is the whole point of reading such a book.

The opposite happens in this memoir. Laugh out loud funny, cringe-worthy, and heartbreaking all at the same time, Jones manages to actually tell us what happens when a female makes bad decisions and the WHY behind them. She's conscious of her bad decisions and doesn't try to justify them in any way. In an unapologetic and balls-to-the-wall kind of way, she doesn't blame anyone except herself for her circumstances and manages, somehow, to slowly creep out the other side after a whole lotta craziness that makes me constantly go "WTF?"

The writing is amazing - it reads like a conversation with the author and manages to be a quick read without taking away the literary value (which happens so often with quick reads). It's dirty and hot without being gross which is VERY important.

The most amazing, and sweetest, thing to me was that after everything (her bad behavior and his indifference) Jessica and Andrew were able to maintain the best part of their marriage - their friendship. At the end of everything, the ability of both people to end their marriage and maintain a friendship is a very special thing and speaks to the people they were and continue to be.

Finally, I'll finish my review by saying this - if more women were as honest about their own shit as Jones is, I'd probably have more female friends.

It is important to note that this author is a very good friend of mine - in fact, she's one of my closest friends - but I wouldn't have written a review like this if everything I said wasn't true.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Klonopin Lunch.