Jen*The Geeky Book Gal*'s Reviews > Beyond the Wall: Exploring George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

Beyond the Wall by James Lowder

Jul 09, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from June 26 to July 09, 2012

I enjoyed most of the 14 essays in this book. Some were a bit dry or overly analytical but, some were extra compelling, such as "Petyr Baelish and the Mask of Sanity" by Matt Staggs which discussed Petyr Baelish's psychopathic nature as a clinical rather than a popular definition of the often used term. Andrew Zimmerman Jones discusses the various religions of Westeros in "Of Direwolves and Gods" ;and the essay on romanticism "The Palace of Love, the Palace of Sorrow" by Elio M. Garcia Jr goes into romanticism through different characters views on events that happened and their interactions with other characters.

There's also an essay on adapting the novels to graphic novels which appealed to my geeky side, as well as an essay about the collectability of certain editions of the books.

Beware-this book gives spoilers, so be warned if you haven't read all the novels yet.

I was given this advanced copy of the book through NetGalley to review. My digital copy had lots of capitalization and spelling errors, especially the forward. I don't know if it was the translation to Kindle or something else..anyway, wanted to note that but it is not factored in my review.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond the Wall.

06/28/2012
35.0% "loving the different authors viewpoint on the world and characters of Game of Thrones Series.."
show 2 hidden updates…