Samantha.'s Reviews > This Side of Paradise

This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald

U_50x66
Nov 25, 12

Read from June 26 to November 25, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Side of Paradise.

Quotes Samantha. Liked

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“I'm not sentimental--I'm as romantic as you are. The idea, you know,
is that the sentimental person thinks things will last--the romantic
person has a desperate confidence that they won't.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“I don't want to repeat my innocence. I want the pleasure of losing it again.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“It was always the becoming he dreamed of, never the being.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“They slipped briskly into an intimacy from which they never recovered.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“There is a moment—Oh, just before the first kiss, a whispered word—something that makes it worth while.”

“You'll find another.'
God! Banish the thought. Why don't you tell me that 'if the girl had been worth having she'd have waited for you'? No, sir, the girl really worth having won't wait for anybody.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“I hope something happens. I'm restless as the devil and have a horror of getting fat or falling in love and growing domestic.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“And he could not tell why the struggle was worthwhile, why he had determined to use the utmost himself and his heritage from the personalities he had passed...

He stretched out his arms to the crystalline, radiant sky.

I know myself," he cried, "But that is all.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“You're not sorry to go, of course. With people like us our home is where we are not... No one person in the world is necessary to you or to me.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“We want to believe. Young students try to believe in older authors, constituents try to believe in their Congressmen, countries try to believe in their statesmen, but they can't. Too many voices, too much scattered, illogical ill-considered criticism.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“Youth is like having a big plate of candy. Sentimentalists think they want to be in the pure, simple state they were in before they ate the candy. They don't. They just want the fun of eating it all over again.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“I'm a slave to my emotions, to my likes, to my hatred of boredom, to most of my desires.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“Many nights he lay there dreaming awake of secret cafés in Mont Marte, where ivory women delved in romantic mysteries with diplomats and soldiers of fortune, while orchestras played Hungarian waltzes and the air was thick and exotic with intrigue and moonlight and adventure.”