Ruth's Reviews > The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce

Jun 26, 12

bookshelves: contemporary
Read in June, 2012

C2012. FWFTB: wife, walk, save, life, compass. A highly recommended book reportedly “unputdownable” and “really enjoyable”. My thoughts – “Meh”. It was an ok read but I found it depressing at times or unbelievable at other times. The themes are not subtle but how strange that there should be a mention of Hexham after just being there for a couple of days. “Harold didn’t expect her to stand up for him because she loved her son, and that was right, of course. He only wished that sometimes he didn’t feel so outside, as if what bonded them was their disassociation from him.” And “Harold had spent his whole life bowing his head to avoid confrontation, and yet, spilled from his own flesh was someone determined to hold his eye and have it out with him. He wished he had not grinned the night his son jived.” Well known for her radio plays there is a distinct structure to this book which would allow it to be made into a play or film rather easily.Hugh Dennis, whom I know as a comedian as opposed to a writer, had this to say “Really enjoyable...by turns moving, charming and very funny.” Sadly, I can not agree. A pair of shoes and a bird are featured on the cover and the artwork has been credited to Andrew Davidson who, if it is the same person, is well known for his wood engravings. Unfortunately, I am unable to recommend to the normal crew.FCN: Harold Fry, Queenie Hennessy, David Fry, Maureen Fry, Rex.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry.