Katie's Reviews > Nothing to Hide

Nothing to Hide by J. Mark Bertrand

Jul 31, 12

Read in July, 2012 — I own a copy

First posted on my blog, Legacy of a Writer.

Out of all three books in the Roland March Mystery series, this newest one, Nothing to Hide, is probably my favorite. J. Mark Bertrand does a very good job of keeping his characters realistic and giving you a glimpse into what being a Homicide Detective is really like. Not all that glamorous or easy, that’s for sure!

I won’t pretend to like Roland—he was okay in Back on Murder and barely tolerable in Pattern of Wounds—though in Nothing to Hide I will admit he was a tad better. That said, it wasn’t a surprise to me when I began growing attached and more interested in other characters within the book. Namely, Terry Cavallo and Jeff. I always perked up when either of these two entered the scene. Needless to say to those who’ve read this book…I was in for some major surprises concerning them!

The whole mystery/intrigue/conspiracy was great, even if I did get confused a few times. But I pushed on through and experienced a great adventure alongside Roland. The things that take place and are touched on in Nothing to Hide are very mature in nature—description of mutilated corpse, rape, torture—so I wouldn’t recommend this series to younger teens.

I’m not sure if Bertrand has more in store for Roland, but I would read them. True, Roland is a pretty rough and cold guy, but he’s blessed to be surrounded by some great friends who love him anyway—and the mysteries are always sure to be great! For all you mystery readers out there…read this series!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nothing to Hide.