Bobby's Reviews > A Thread of Grace

A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell

Nov 03, 2008

bookshelves: reviewed
Read in November, 2008

A 4.5 stars effort. A rich and complex (and at times, not so easy to follow) portrayal of both historical and fictional events that take place in northwest Italy (in real and made-up locations) during WWII and the Nazi era. Though it is a little difficult to get into this book initially, those who are able to do it will enjoy a cast of memorable and well-developed characters and powerful ideas about what it is to be a human, especially in a time of crisis. Though not as nearly funny as Catch-22, this book did remind me of Catch-22's cynicism and attitude of futility towards the war. However, despite being full of tragedy and death, I still found the book's overall message to be strangely uplifting and life-affirming. Perhaps because no matter how slim their odds were against the Nazis, it was the "ordinary" people who risked everything and did the right thing by sheltering the Jews who needed their help. So refreshing (and respectable) to read about in our time, when the failure of various "leaders" or "experts" seems to be the norm.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thread of Grace.

03/16/2016 marked as: read