Jennie Tichich's Reviews > Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It

Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes

4519816
Jun 26, 2012

Paradigm shifter for sure. I found myself so confused while reading this- cognitive dissonance, as the author Taubes calls it.
Wow! Years of inconclusive medical studies on the true impact of high-fat diets yet we adopted the low-fat, high-carbohydrate as a dictum of healthy behavior!
You have to believe that the science of metabolism is more complicated than: Calories/in = Calories/out. Taubes does an excellent job of demonstrating how fatting, or Adiposity 101, really works. Constantly high insulin secretion, coupled with a cell's increasing insulin resistance leads to the deleterious effects and vicious cycles of weight gain, fat storage, lipid disorders, diabetes (ie. Metabolic syndrome). Very compelling evidence against High-carb diets. AND, interestingly enough, equally compelling evidence for high-fat/protein diets.
I went to the Meat House this weekend (while reading this book) and bought some steak. I looked around at the clientele. They were actually all thin! I then went to the gym yesterday morning and every woman in the locker room was over weight. HUH! Arguments are adding up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Get Fat.