Patricia's Reviews > Lone Wolf

liked it
bookshelves: 2012
Read in June, 2012

Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult

The Warren family can barely be called a family. They share blood but little else. They are so distant from one another that they cannot see how alike they are in their differences. But now there has been an accident that will make this family come together after years of separation.

In Picoult signature storytelling style each family member tells the story as they see it. Luke Warren, wolf researcher and expert, is in the hospital with a brain injury as a result of a car accident that he was in with his teenage daughter, Cara. Cara is also in the hospital but her greatest pain is in her memories. Edward, has lived in Thailand since leaving home at eighteen because of a secret he was afraid he would reveal to his family, has returned. Georgie, Cara’s and Edward’s mother, has been divorced from Luke and is now remarried. She has moved on but it has not been easy and now with Luke in critical condition and their children having to face the past to decide the future she is questioning her part of the past.

Luke is closer to wolves than to his family. He understands wolves and can relate to them but he does not understand or relate to his ex-wife and children. He sees the four of them as a pack, like wolves, not really as a family. He wants his family to see that the similarities of wolf packs and human families are greater than the differences. He wants the strengths of a wolf pack to be their strengths. He does not, or cannot, see why this will never be.

Now his children must decide Luke’s fate. What should they do? What would he want? What do they want? Will Luke live or die?

This novel of Picoults is, as usual, about a family and what family means. The characters are likable and well written, although, I think Cara is a bit of a stereotypical teenager. The use of the characters voices to tell the story keeps it moving at a good pace and does develop the plot nicely. Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite authors and overall I liked this book as I have liked the others I have read but I was disappointed with the last chapter. It just did not have that totally unexpected surprise at the end that make her books remarkable. There is a surprise but it is not really unexpected; you sort of see it coming. Still, the book is good and I recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lone Wolf.