Lauren's Reviews > Breakfast on Pluto

Breakfast on Pluto by Patrick McCabe

Jul 02, 12

Read from June 24 to 27, 2012

I can’t say I loved this book (I didn’t), but I do appreciate it. This is a literary work of art - it’s art with words and story. The tale of Patrick “Pussy” Braden – a transvestite / transgendered man from a small town in Ireland who becomes a prostitute in London – is simple in and of itself. Taking place in Ireland and London in the 1960s and 1970s, Mr. McCabe uses the time period as a dramatic backdrop to Patrick’s over-the-top effusions (Patrick makes Nathan Lane’s character in The Birdcage seem quaintly neurotic in comparison). What makes the story stand out is that it's told entirely from Patrick’s perspective, and Patrick floats in and out of sanity and discusses serious subjects in a frothy, bubblegum tone. It’s exhausting and exhilarating, because Mr. McCabe takes a stock character who is often relegated to a stereotype in a supporting role (the effeminate, over-the-top, non-straight male) and makes him into a person. I finished the book not sure what was true and what was false, but that’s part of the joy of this story: seeing things from Patrick’s vantage point while at the same time knowing he could very well be lying to readers and readers will never know. For bibliophiles, this one is worth a read. Recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breakfast on Pluto.