VampireNovelFan's Reviews > Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond

Into the Woods by Kim Harrison

Aug 29, 13

bookshelves: arc, edelweiss, demons, fantasy, urban-fantasy, vampires, witches
Read from June 26 to August 28, 2012

So yeah, revising this to now give it 5 stars. One page.

description

And so

description

And now for the actual review:

A little bit of old, a little bit of new

Even being the Hollows snob that I am, I admit a couple of stories have slipped through the cracks for me over the years. That's why I was quite pleased to hear that the stories would finally be included in an anthology! I'll be honest and say that when I opened it I immediately skipped to "Million Dollar Baby", the story centering on Trent and Jenks's elf quest in Pale Demon, and it didn't disappoint! Everything else for me was a bonus, but it was all worthwhile. Here's a breakdown of the stories and my general feelings:

"Million Dollar Baby"- this was easily the premiere story for this publication. It was essentially priceless getting into Trent's head and learning quite a few things that we never knew before. It makes him so much more "human" this way. Trent and Rachel fans eager for anything to support development of these two may be disappointed a smidgen (though not entirely), but I think it's important to remember when this story took place and what it's about. While I loved reading about Trent, I admit that I missed Rachel. I'm really attached to the itchy witch and they play off one another so well. No worries though because the bromance that blooms between Trent and Jenks is plenty entertaining. We see why pixies and elves get along so well. Overall, I thought this was a well done story and I wish we could get more stories from Trent, though I know that won't be happening much.

As for the reprinted Hollows short stories:

"The Bespelled" - a short story focusing on Al and how he ensnared Ceri of 1,000 years ago. I always enjoyed this read. But it has Al so that makes it pretty easy...

"Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel"- a Robbie/Rachel/Pierce novella going back in time to when Rachel was 18 and struggling with her decision to join the I.S. This story was new to me. I was not the biggest fan of Pierce in the main novels, but I must admit that he is a little better here.

"Undead in The Garden of Good and Evil"- a novella focusing on Ivy in her earlier I.S. days. Another entertaining novel with excellent doses of Kisten. If you thought he and Rachel were hott together, you should read this to see vamp on vamp action. I read this some time ago, but I forgot how hott he and Ivy can be together.

"Dirty Magic"- short story about Mia, the banshee from Book 7. While not my favorite I found it interesting to read about her and her complex thought processes.

"The Bridges of Eden Park"- a Kisten and Rachel short that no doubt makes you miss him all over again.

"Ley Line Drifter" - a novella focusing on Bis and Jenks. It introduces the character Daryl who we meet again in the later Hollows novels. I will say it's sort of weird to read A Perfect Blood and then go back to reading this. My favorite parts were the moments between Jenks and Matalina since we never get to see that first hand.

Stories beyond The Hollows:

"Pet Shop Boys" - I admit that every time I see this title I just want to sing "West End Girls". Though I promise that the story is completely unrelated. It's actually about vampires, but they are completely different from our Hollows vamps. I think she could have had something going, but The Hollows vamps are better and more developed, not surprisingly. They have an unfair advantage of having novel after novel of development. I would like to see this become a full novel or two to even the playing field. This was my favorite entry of the non-Hollows stories.

"Temson Estates" and "Spider Web"-a short story and novella focusing on dryads. I don't think they are my favorite supernatural creature, but I would have liked to have seen a little more regarding the Spider Web story.

"Grace" - novella introducing new powers relating to people who hold special energy capable of destroying electronics. Their powers can be intense enough that, if left unharnessed, they can be a danger to society. This one is more borderline Urban Fantasy to me. It could be categorized as something else.

Overall, I enjoyed this book but normally I don't enjoy anthologies very much simply because I prefer to read a whole novel as opposed to several novellas (just a personal preference). I found myself putting the book down more often for this reason, but I was definitely engaged enough to read the old stuff all over again along with the new stuff.

I follow Kim Harrison's work more closely under the Rachel Morgan series than anything else, but the non-Hollows stories give the reader a taste of her skills as an author. It's a good way to test yourself as a fan, determining whether you plan to follow Rachel Morgan or Kim Harrison in general. The beginnings of the stories were sometimes a little hard to get into because I didn't always want to switch gears from story to story, especially going from Rachel Morgan to something totally different. But if you stay the course, each read is quite rewarding and interesting, even with such a short window of opportunity to tell the story. I see myself following Harrison throughout The Hollows and beyond.

*ARC provided by the publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Woods.

Quotes VampireNovelFan Liked

Kim Harrison
“Rachel knew what she was doing. And when she didn't, she could improvise on the fly, coming up with options that left a lot of collateral damage but usually only hurt herself, not the people around her. It was one of the things he would never admit that he admired about her.”

Kim Harrison
“She just threatened to throw the next man who shoots at you out the window. Megan is awake. She offered to help. God, Trent, what is it with you and women?”

06/26/2012
55.0% "Yes, I am completely skipping over the rest and going straight to Trent and Jenks bromance tyme in Million Dollar Baby ~_^." 7 comments
06/26/2012
58.0% "Well well! Looks like elf boy........(teaser)gets around more than one would think!(/teaser)" 2 comments
06/26/2012
60.0% ""Rachel knew what she was doing. And when she didn't, she could improvise on the fly, coming up with options that left a lot of collateral damage but usually only hurt herself, not the people around her. It was one of the things he would never admit that he admired about her."" 7 comments
06/26/2012
61.0% "“He didn't want Lucy to grow up feeling alone, surrounded by everything and having nothing.”" 5 comments
06/27/2012
61.0% ""Crap on toast," he muttered, then blinked, wondering when--on the coast-to-coast excusrion he'd been on with Rachel--that he'd picked that up." --HAHA! Itchy Witch is rubbing off on elf boy!"
68.0% "Uhoh. Continuity error." 6 comments
06/27/2012
68.0% ""She just threatened to throw the next man who shoots at you out the window. Megan is awake. She offered to help. God, Trent, what is it with you and women?"" 1 comment
08/23/2012
25.0% "Starting from scratch :-). It's fun to read these stories all over again." 4 comments
08/24/2012
30.0% "I forgot how hott Kisten and Ivy are together. And that's just vamp bites!" 2 comments
08/24/2012
35.0% 2 comments
08/27/2012
76.0% "I'm liking the Pet Shop Boys story. It's vampires, but not Hollows vampires. Good stuff!" 3 comments
08/27/2012
83.0% "Should finish up by tomorrow. W00T!"
89.0% 2 comments
08/28/2012
94.0% "So close it hurts!"
08/28/2012
94.0% "So close it hurts!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie No way ! Lucky ;)

Jamie is it a long book? i dont wanna pay 13 buck for nada. i did that with the mercy thompson gn. waste lol

VampireNovelFan Yeah, it's long, but it's a compilation of short stories, old and new. I'm not 100% sure it's worth $25 (because I'm only in it for the Trent story), but it's worth an ebook price I think.

Erin (Paperback Stash) I havent read any of the short stories. I bought the hardback or one and then found out the paperback version would have the bonus short story grrr. So, I definitely see it worth it for me since they will all be new. Can't wait.

VampireNovelFan Erin wrote: "I havent read any of the short stories. I bought the hardback or one and then found out the paperback version would have the bonus short story grrr. So, I definitely see it worth it for me since th..."

Hope you like it! Some of the short stories are quite nice.

Cher you must spill on the Trent story!!

Nici I'm so jealous ;)how is it so far?

Zeenat I'm jealous too!!! you will have to tell us how it is :)

VampireNovelFan @Cher: What to spill? We know he gets her :P

@Nici: Not bad save for the one major error. Not sure if that will be fixed in final print.

@Zeenat! I'm doin' I'm doin'! :P

message 11: by Cher (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cher you must spill about the naughty elf getting around and who the heck Megan is? pppllllllleeeeeaaassseeee.

VampireNovelFan Lol. So you REALLY want spoilers?

message 13: by Cher (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cher I don't but I do.I'm thinking that I will forget most of it by Oct, when I buy the book.LOL

VampireNovelFan LOL!! Or you could just wait until October :P.

message 15: by Cher (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cher VampireNovelFan wrote: "LOL!! Or you could just wait until October :P."

LOL. that's too easy a solution.I'm going thru elf withdrawl.These books aren't coming fast enough.Can you tell me if Ellasbeth is in it?

message 16: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Jun 28, 2012 06:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan (view spoiler)

message 17: by Cher (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cher VampireNovelFan wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

I'm not sure if your answer didn't just bring up more questions!!lol. thanks for the info

is mee... kissa I'm jealous! How is it?

TWiser I'm jealous and waiting on all your quotes :)

Erin (Paperback Stash) I keep getting drawns to these updates like a moth to a flame...but think I'm going to resist until then to avoid accidental potential spoilers - argh!! Can't wait until the book comes out. :)

message 21: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Erin wrote: "I keep getting drawns to these updates like a moth to a flame...but think I'm going to resist until then to avoid accidental potential spoilers - argh!! Can't wait until the book comes out. :)"

Same here :)

message 22: by archdandy (new) - added it

archdandy Ugh, I don't think my emotions could take reading the Kisten shorts :(

message 23: by Negine (new) - added it

Negine So excited to read "Million Dollar Baby"!!! Also I heard somewhere - Kim Harrison's website? - that the mass market edition of "A Perfect Blood" will have a chapter told in Trent's POV ;)

VampireNovelFan Yep! C'mooon September!

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian Hey, I just wrote my review for this too. I was wondering, did you notice the glaring inconsistency about (view spoiler)? That should not be mentioned at the time of Million Dollar baby cos it hadn't happened yet!

VampireNovelFan Yep! But that will be fixed in time for the final release ~_^

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian VampireNovelFan wrote: "Yep! But that will be fixed in time for the final release ~_^"

Ah, did you mention it to them then? 'Cause I did too. lol

VampireNovelFan Yup! That's what ARCs are good for!

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian VampireNovelFan wrote: "Yup! That's what ARCs are good for!"

They'll be sick of hearing it by now then, lol. Oh well.

VampireNovelFan Lynsey wrote: "VampireNovelFan wrote: "Yup! That's what ARCs are good for!"

They'll be sick of hearing it by now then, lol. Oh well."

Better before they hear it from the masses!

D.A.-bully victims suffer more than a ★ on their commercial product I'm having trouble believing she can wrap up all the little subplots and tidbits in one final Hollows book when Ever After comes out.

Zeenat After Ever After there are 2 more books.

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian Yes, 13 book in total, so 11, 12 and 13 still to go.

Erin (Paperback Stash) Jen wrote: "Ugh, I don't think my emotions could take reading the Kisten shorts :("

Oh no, I didn't even think of that!

VampireNovelFan He's in two of them. Ivy's novella and then Rachel's short.

Erin (Paperback Stash) Well, I love Kisten so it will be a bit depressing but still enjoyable to read those.

VampireNovelFan I loved Kisten too, but I'm so far into Team Trent mode that I'm actually okay about it now.

Jisha Mishra I already like Kim Harrison beyond the Hollows Universe: I've read all her works, even as Dawn Cook... I JUST CANT wait for this book - I keep coming back here to goodreads to check again and again the release date... somehow tonight I was convinced it was today :P :D (I'm no fan of pre-order ya see...It's sheer masochism until I lay my hands one one)

VampireNovelFan I will try her Dawn Cook books at some point. I am plenty obsessed enough with The Hollows though lol. I hope you enjoy the read! It's pretty good! But Ever After is where my fangirl brain is right now. Fingers crossed that the ARC pops up soon lol.

Jisha Mishra Ha Ha :D I'm hungry for ever after too :D i'd love to get my hands on an ARC too - but I've no idea how XD and being a student on stipends, no way i'm gonna be able to get one from ebay :(

Jisha Mishra When it comes to anything Rachel or Trent... I'm like - 'Come to mama' :D

message 42: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Oct 08, 2012 11:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan Jisha wrote: "Ha Ha :D I'm hungry for ever after too :D i'd love to get my hands on an ARC too - but I've no idea how XD and being a student on stipends, no way i'm gonna be able to get one from ebay :("

Yeah ebay is pretty much the only chance unless you're a reviewer on their list. I'm a reviewer, but getting one is still up in the air, but believe you me I shall try!

As for that second comment, ROFL!

Wickedshizuku (and the Jedi pup) You know I think in a way I enjoyed Harrison's Truth series about as much as I do the Rachel Morgan series, but on different aesthetic levels.

VampireNovelFan Never read the Truth books. I read the first Madison Avery book but I didn't care for it as much.

message 45: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright Awesome!!!