Don Bradshaw's Reviews > Servitude

Servitude by Rebecca Cohen

Jul 01, 12

bookshelves: family-drama, fantasy, gay-romance, magic, offworld-politics
Read from June 28 to July 01, 2012

Reviewed on Hearts On Fire... http://heartsonfirereviews.com/

This was the beginning of a good fantasy series. I caution readers that it may be worth waiting for book two to come out before starting this one because there are numerous loose ends at the end of this book that leave you wanting answers.
The Reagalos family has always produced a High Lord to rule most of whom have had magical ability. The current High Lord Tancorix has no magical abilities and so is a sitting duck just waiting to be picked off by his enemies. His father was a very powerful ruler who also got into trouble with several noble families. The penance for a couple of his antics fell to his grandson Lornyc by way of mage woven contracts that appeared on Tancorix's desk one day. Lornyc is shuffled off to the Hadral estate where he has to serve as his lover's man-servant for ten years. Lornyc and Methian have been together for over three years and are very much in love much to Lady Hadral's dismay. A plot to murder Tancorix is uncovered which leads Tancorix to call in the powerful mage, Kat, to help bring Lornyc's latent magical abilities to the surface quickly as Lornyc is to become the next High Lord. Lornyc's abilities exceed all expectations and he is soon more powerful than his esteemed grandfather. With Methian as his husband, young Lornyc must take his place and rule as High Lord. The world building in this alternate reality was excellent with Lornyc's reality having an interesting mix of present day and medieval elements. Methiam wears a wristwatch but people travel by horse drawn carriages. The characters were well developed and I couldn't help but love Kat, Methian and the sometimes hapless Lornyc. I especially enjoyed the trip that Lornyc and Methian took into the cavern to find the orbs. Ms Cohen threw in just enough plot twists to keep the story engrossing with its large cast of characters but not too many to make the story dry and confusing. The story line read very well but the HEA ending left me with an irritating amount of loose ends and questions which I hope that Ms Cohen will soon remedy. I recommend this excellent fantasy story to any lover of this unique genre but with the advice to have the sequel close at hand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Servitude.

07/01/2012 page 310