Komal's Reviews > Starlight

Starlight by Carrie Lofty

Jul 19, 12

bookshelves: own, first-reads-giveaway
Read from July 14 to 19, 2012

3.5 stars. When I first read the blurb for this book, I thought that Carrie Lofty was going to do a disservice to Scotland and the time period. Writing historical romance novels is no easy feat, let alone writing one that takes place during such an unusual time period (the late 1880s, during the Industrial Revolution). But Lofty did a commendable job, mainly because she didn’t dwell to deep in the history rather she stuck to the romance which I liked.

One of the best things about this book is Alex Christie. There was something pure and simple about him; an uncomplicated man with a simple goal- to provide for his son. What made me fall in love with him though, was that while making a choice that was going to suck no matter what, he felt awful about it. His perseverance to do right by Polly, her family, the union, and his deceased father was touching.

While this book had the makings of a five star book, two big things stood in the way of me truly enjoying it. The first being Polly; she was supposed to be bold and “cheeky” but sometimes she just crossed the line into ridiculous and cheap. Also, I found it hard to believe that a young unmarried woman would be allowed to wander the streets in a bad part of town with a man she barely knows. A little too farfetched for me. The second problem I had with this book was that it was just too long. A big chunk of the book could have been cut out and story would have been stronger; the pace was too slow. I’ve noticed that romance novels over 350+ pages usually don’t have any need to be so long.

Overall, this book had a handful of touching moments and I highly recommend it for people who love Regency romance novels or Victorian romance novels because the feel is similar.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starlight.

07/16/2012 page 88
07/17/2012 page 174
44.0% "This book is moving so mind numbingly slowly. Snails move faster then this."
show 5 hidden updates…