Patty's Reviews > Charlotte's Web

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

Oct 17, 2008

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fiction

Reading Level: Intermediate

This book is a heart-warming story about friendship and how to be a really good friend to someone. Charlotte takes Wilbur under her wing and molds him into a wonderful pig with many good traits. Wilbur learns from Charlotte what a true friend is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charlotte's Web.

Laura Obviously we all read this book, but last weekend the movie was on TV. I had never seen it before but it really followed the book pretty well. In the book I never really came to like Templeton, but in the movie he comes off better. I think that some of that is my perception though. It is funny because when I re-read the book as an adult I took away a lot of different things than I did as a child.

Cynthia I never read this book as a child. How did that happen? I read it for the first time as an adult, when I was scouting out read alouds.

I have mixed feelings about movies based on books. I haven't seen the movie of Charlotte's Web, and I really don;t have the desire to,either.I like to make my own images in my head.I have to admit that the Harry Potter movies are pretty great. However,since I saw the first movie I read the subsequent books with those people in my head. Bottom line--always read the book first!

Laura I agree that the book should be read first, but some of my friends watch the movie first because they say the book always adds more detail and so they get an extra boost. I have never really thought of it that way but maybe I will try it with Despereaux since I want to read it but haven't had the time.

Cynthia Based on the movie trailers I have seen so far, I am prepared to despise the Despereaux movie. I had a set of very solid, classic fairy tale pictures in my head, not animated cartoons. I will give it a chance, though.