Gulnaz K.'s Reviews > Talented

Talented by Sophie  Davis

Jul 05, 12

bookshelves: ya, strong-heroines, urban-fantasy, dystopia
Read in June, 2012

I received Talented from the First Reads giveaway, thank you Goodreads and author, Sophie Davis!

Talented, by Sophie Davis, chronicles the story of heroine Talia Lyons, set in a future dystopia. Generations after a nuclear spill that caused people to be born with special abilities, Talia Lyons, an elite mind manipulator, trains to work for the government as a hunter. She is trained among the most Talented to gather intel, and engage in missions aimed at bringing down The Coalition, a rebel group that opposes the current government, and seeks to oppress those who are Talented.

I thought Talented was an excellent debut to this new saga. Davis thoughtfully builds her world, and takes us through Talia’s thought processes as she discovers how to manipulate her Talent. Talia is a dynamic character—she witnesses her parents’ murders as a child, and is raised by the director of Toxic, the head of the organization that employs the Talented. She has trained her entire life to become a hunter and take down the man responsible for their deaths—president of the Coalition, Ian Crane.

While Talia is certainly physically and mentally strong as far as her Talent goes, her personal life is a bit of a mess. Talia finds herself in the middle of a love triangle between boyfriend Donavan and teammate Erik. After Donavan cheats on her, her world falls apart—even when she and Erik form a romantic connection after the breakup, she is still hung up on Donavan. Although I understand Talia’s struggle, I wish she would’ve toughened up a little in regard to her personal relationships. Her emotions fluctuate so much it can be frustrating, I think in order for her to grow as a character she needs to grow a thicker skin. She witnessed her parents’ murders, but she can’t handle simple relationship matters—there seems to be a disconnect there.

A major critique I have of this book is the editing—it was atrocious! There are errors galore in this book and I really wish someone had looked at it more carefully. One or two errors do not bother me, but they were everywhere! I genuinely enjoyed Talented, and will read the next book in the series. I recommend Talented to young adult fiction fans!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Talented.