bookczuk's Reviews > Mr.Golightly's Holiday

Jun 28, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: bookcrossing
Read from June 26 to 28, 2012

What I liked about this book was the Englishness of it -- the characters and scenes that inhabit so many small towns. I've seen places like this when I lived in England, but that was (mumble-mumble) years ago, in another century, another world. You catch glimpses in Agatha Christie stories or even MC Beaton's books. That was the bit of the book which enchanted me. The actual story-line itself, and many of the characters, didn't grab me quite as much.

I do have to admit it took me a while to pick this book off the TBR pile because in my world "GoLYTELY" is a bowel cleanser.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr.Golightly's Holiday.

message 1: by Bookguide (new)

Bookguide What a strange world you live in;-) I see it comes in two flavours: regular and pineapple. "Regular" is pretty funny in this context! I wonder just what flavour that is.

I didn't realise you'd ever lived in England. Where did you live?

bookczuk Well, I'm a nurse, and one of my specialties was to help children who had neurogenic bowel/bladder complications find bowel and bladder management programs that helped them stay continent. To do that, you have to clear the system for a "clean start". Plus, in any level of nursing, you routinely come up with the need for a patent to have clean innards before surgery or before certain procedures/tests. Not a strange world at all, just a medical one. :)

I lived in London and spent a lot of time in Nottingham.

message 3: by Bookguide (new)

Bookguide Fascinating stuff. Recently saw something on TV about 'fecal flora reconstitution', aka poop transplants; you normally never hear of these things until you're ill and the doctor or nurse tells you this is what they're planning on doing, and you're desperate enough to let them;-)

bookczuk It's important to have friendly and helpful bacteria in your GI system, and poop is the end product of that system!

message 5: by Bookguide (new)

Bookguide Very true, although I'm not sure if my husband is thinking of that sort of end product if he asks me if I've had a productive day;-p