Maureen's Reviews > The Random House Book of Poetry for Children

The Random House Book of Poetry for Children by Jack Prelutsky

Oct 17, 08

bookshelves: poetry

This collection of 572 poems, selected by Jack Prelutzky and illustrated by Caldecott winner Arnold Lobel, has been recognized as a modern classic since its publication in 1983; an unparalled resource of fine children's poems organized into 14 broad categories such as Alphabet Stew and The Land of Potpourri. The collection is also indexed by titles, first lines, authors, and subject. This is an indispensible resource of fine poetry and should be found in every teacher's collection.

If I only had one book of poetry for chldren, this would be it. This is my "go to" source when I am looking for a poem to introduce a theme, enrich curriculum, celebrate a holiday, etc.I read poetry to my students every day as I believe students derive enormous benefit from reading and listening to all kinds of poetry, and engaging in the process of writing poetry. I believe that reading and writing poetry will inform their writing in other genres, give them authentic reasons for expanding their vocabularies, develop an appreciation for well crafted lyrical language while searching for a personal literary voice, and will occasionally allow students to escape the demands of conventions. So if you are looking for a good poem with which to inspire the above behaviors, this valuable anthology is the place to start.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Random House Book of Poetry for Children.

Andrea I have this as one of my poetry books too. It is one of my resources which follows me as I move from school to school. It doesn't get packed in a box and put in storage as some of my things have.