Myles's Reviews > Ozma of Oz

Ozma of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Apr 19, 14

bookshelves: kids-stuff, wonder-tales
Read from June 25 to 26, 2012

After finishing Out of Oz, I had to read more of the original Oz books. I've heard widely varying reports about the quality of them, but I figured I'd give Ozma a go. And it's a lot of fun, weird and dark. The Nome King is diabolical, lots of gleeful rubbing of hands and entrapment while he lures Ozma, Dorothy and her friends into a awful predicament -- all while looking and sounding like Santa Claus.

And if you thought the Kalidahs in The Wizard of Oz were unnerving, just wait until you see Neill's illustrations of the Wheelers. I'm fond of Denslow's illustrations for the original and still dislike how Neill decided to draw Dorothy like some china doll instead of a Midwestern farm girl, but his talents are undeniable. They add a lot of charm to the bizarre characters Baum invented for this book to establish Oz as a series to return to. I loved the follow-ups and returns of characters from the two earlier books, and General Jinjur's cameo at the end is hysterical. Jinjur may have settled down with a nice man, but she still teaches him a lesson with her fist every now and then when he doesn't milk a cow properly. How was that OK for a children's book even a hundred years ago? Silly. The Scarecrow, Tin Man and Cowardly Lion appear with limited success, not really adding anything to the story, but present anyway.

The new characters were great, the aforementioned Nome King of course, as well as Billina the talking hen, Princess Langwidere with her 30 interchangeable heads, and the Hungry Tiger whose conscience prevents him from enjoying a nice tender plump baby for a meal. Much better than I could have anticipated, I'll still tread warily when it comes to future reads of Oz books, but its good to know I can still enjoy them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ozma of Oz.

Quotes Myles Liked

L. Frank Baum
“I've married a man who owns nine cows," said Jinjur to Ozma, "and now I am happy and contented and willing to lead a quiet life and mind my own business."

"Where is your husband?" asked Ozma.

"He is in the house, nursing a black eye," replied Jinjur, calmly. "The foolish man would insist upon milking the red cow when I wanted him to milk the white one; but he will know better next time, I am sure.”
L. Frank Baum, Ozma of Oz
tags: jinjur

06/26/2012 page 38
06/26/2012 page 129
47.0% ""...and, if we are obligated to fight the Nome King, every officer as well as the private, will battle fiercely unto death.""